Technically, you can climb Kilimanjaro year around and no month is completely off-limits.
Jan to March and July to Oct are the driest months and the best time for hiking. Jan to March are slightly colder and have a high chance of encountering snow on the mountain.
You will encounter some rain if you go in Dec and June so even though these months are not ideal, they aren’t bad either. We hiked in the 3rd week of Dec and experienced some rain showers. However, we had a perfect summit day.
April, May and Nov are the wettest months and hiking at this time is not recommended unless you are very comfortable with serious hiking and high altitude in rainy weather with serious winds and storms especially closer to the summit.
We summited the mountain on a full moon night. Words and pictures cannot explain this magical experience. If you are planning your hike several months in advance (which you should do anyway), try aligning your summit date with a full moon night.
Other posts in this series
- Why should I climb / trek Kilimanjaro?
- What is the best route to climb Mount Kilimanjaro
- How to pick a tour guide (questions to ask) – Upcoming
- Best time to climb / trek Mount Kilimanjaro and how to get there? – This
- How fit do you have to be climb Mount Kilimanjaro? – Upcoming
- What gear / equipment do I need for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro? – Upcoming
How to get there?
KIA (Kilimanjaro International Airport) is the closest airport and there are daily non-stop flights from Europe. We flew from NYC to KIA with a stop in Amsterdam. As U.S. citizens, we had no problems getting visa on arrival.